Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Just A Few Random Thoughts #4

I've long been fascinated with tales of Hollywood back in the day, specifically harking back to the 30s and 40s, when Hollywood was a wide open town ruled by a crooked and corrupt police force. I've devoured most of James Ellroy's books, loved Hollywood Confidential, have The Changeling on my shortlist for this weekend, have been in love with Louise Brooks (one generation earlier, back in the silent era), thought Devil in A Blue Dress and Black Dahlia were great fun, and am about to start a bio of Tallulah Bankhead, an "I don't give a damn what you think" girl. If you know of any other movie or book that fits into this category and is worth pursuing, please let me know.
I'm starting to work on a sex and intimacy survey that comes from Thurday's Child, who runs a wonderful blog http://www.sexnshoes.com/ and who will be happy to include you in if you ask her. I've always felt that introspection is important to keeping your balance in a tippy world, and this survey asks lots of nice questions that will probably help me stay on track, or get back on track, or just understand why I've jumped the tracks. OK, enough of that metaphor. From what I can understand, the thought here is to learn about oneself, and to help Thursday's Child figure herself out...both worthwhile pursuits.
I've just finished reading desire by Susan Cheever, daughter of the late John Cheever. I thought it would be similar to the book a few years ago by a retired prima ballerina from ABT who revealed herself as the queen of anal sex, a tell all book with lots of juicy details, but it was none of those. She discusses at great length her sex addiction, how she views sex addiction historically and in numerous other ways, what lies ahead for her, similarities and differences to other addictions, lots of other stuff. It's a well written book, albeit with a few too many references about where lunch or dinner or drinks took place, and slim enough to be read in a day or so, perhaps over the long holiday weekend.
My thanks go out to those that had or held a positive thought for me concerning my audition. As always, it was much more benign that I would have thought, and I'm happy to report that I passed, and will be appearing with the NY Philharmonic next June for 7 performances during the month---yeah, me and about 200-300 others on stage, but still exciting.
The upcoming Thanksgiving holiday is a time to give thanks, so please take that time. Be thankful for friends either in the flesh or online, for family near and far, for loved ones past and present, for those that care about you and that you care about. Be thankful for the things you have, and truly examine what those things are, be they small or cosmic, and truly appreciate them.
I'm on the away team this holiday, and so it's unclear whether I'll have the freedom to get online for a few days. Travel safely if you're on the road, hold your loved ones near and dear.

No comments: